Thursday, October 22, 2015


                        & your pets

  Halloween is around the corner and can be a fun time for kids. On the other hand, it may be rather frightening to our pets. Making sure our children and pets are safe can be challenging.  Dangers to animals include harmful pranks affecting them or their homes, loud noises and fireworks, opening and closing of doors to trick-or-treaters, and of course the candy.
  Pets in many cases have escaped from the home during the handing out of treats. Having your pet microchipped would help to increase the likelihood of being reunited with them. Avoiding loud, booming fireworks may help prevent destructive behavior by your pet and decrease their level of stress.
  Chocolates, artificially sweetened candies, mints, chewing gum and raisins commonly found in Halloween baskets, are poisonous to our pets. Dark chocolates are more toxic than milk chocolates. Xylitol, an artificial sweetener, harms the liver in animals. Raisins and grapes can lead to kidney failure. Chewing up and ingesting bags, plastic containers or candy wrappers may cause a blockage in the digestive tract. Surgery is often needed to correct this.

 We at Westbrook Animal Hospital hope that everyone will have a spooktacular time and please stay safe.