Holiday plants that you should avoid include:
* Poinsettias: The sap can cause vomiting and stomach irratation.
* Holly (leaves and berries): Cause vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhea,
* Mistletoe: Is extremely toxic. If ingested take to Vet immediately.
* Lily: Especially deadly to cats, but all pet should be taken to the Vet.
The holidays are full of special foods and drinks. To help you avoid an emergency trip to the veterinarian's office we have composed a short list of some things you should avoid with your pets:
* Chocolate: Especially dark chocolate can be lethal.
* Macadamia nuts: Can cause seizures.
* Coffee, Tea, & Alcohol.
* Nuts: Are high in fat. Many are toxic and most all cause GI distress and
* Greasy, fatty foods, and fat trimmings from meat, fried foods, bones,
twines and strings used to tie meats:
Cause GI upset, pancreatitis, and obstructions.
* Avocados, mushrooms, sage, onion, grapes, and raisins : Kidney problems.
* Any product containing Xylitol: Artificial sweetner found in lots of "sugar-free"
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us at 336-584-9978 and we will help in any way we can. There are also many resources available to you including the ASPCA Poison Control Center. Please use discretion when referring to internet sites. Consult your veterinarian if something seems questionable to you.
From the Dr Madarasz, Dr Cates and all the staff at Westbrook Animal Hospital
We wish everyone a safe and very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!